Debradamus Checks In

Thursday, December 17, 2009

To the Person Who Surrendered My Dog

Dear Woman -
Yes, I know your name, where you lived then, and where you live now. But there's no reason to mention it. You missed out on so much already, why should you get to know that he's doing great?

Once upon a time, you got a cute fluffy little puppy. You bought him from a breeder whose idea of screening consists of one question - will that be cash or a cashier's check? You clearly had no idea that little puppies get bigger, and that they have needs. Why you bothered to keep him out in the back yard for 3 years before finally deciding that it was too much bother I don't know and I don't really care. I'm glad you finally made that decision, because your dog's much better off now and I've had his company for over 6 years.

I expect you stuck him out in the back yard partly because of his digestive problems. If you'd bothered to take him to the vet you would have found out that it was a simple food allergy, very easy to manage. He wouldn't have had to deal with chronic malnutrition, skin problems, a poor coat (which didn't exactly help him outside in the winter, being underweight, and scratching himself bloody from the discomfort). I guess the office visit cost too much. After all, you didn't get him his shots either. You might want to know that he's been fine, healthy, happy and comfortable since I adopted him. And he behaves very well inside, not that you'd know.

Despite the complete lack of training and socializing from you, my dog behaves very well with people, dogs, and cats. It took a lot of work, and a lot of time, but he learned everything as an adult that you should have taught him as a puppy. Puppies don't just figure things out because they get older, you know. Now he's a therapy dog, with good enough manners to work in a hospital. If you hadn't cheated him of the thing he loves most - being with people - his first 3 years would have been so much happier. Yours too.

Part of me feels sorry for you, because you had no idea what you had, and you missed out on something really great. Part of me is angry on his behalf, because he deserved so much better than he got from you. And part of me is happy, because if you hadn't been so lazy and clueless I never would have had the chance to adopt him.

Ah well. Your loss. Too bad you'll never even know what you could have had.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home